> I agree with most of your post, but this statement doesn't work for me
> at
> all! I have a lob with both Mac's and PC's and although the PC's are
> easy to
> maintain, they require maintenance on a regular basic while the Mac's
> rarely
> do, which is why I have Mac's at home.

PC heads will argue that vehemently, and although I would lean toward
the Mac side on this point, I would definitely give them this: at my
job, 9x out of 10, a machine goes down because the user tries to treat a
PC like he/she would a Mac, or vice versa.

> Also, the PC you get for $600 isn't
> nearly as elegant as any newer Mac, including your iMac, but it is cheap
> (not inexpensive) if that is the way you want to go.

Well said. Hence Apple's slogan: Think Different.

> Most people don't really need to get a  new computer if the one they
> have
> will fill their needs and after all how fast can anyone type!

Additionally, if you're buying a computer to type/ email/ surf, don't
get a Mac. A PC will do fine for a lot cheaper. This really isn't what
(IMHO) Mac's were intended for, and it certainly isn't their strongest
point.

>> I can by a new desktop PC, monitor, and linux distro for
>> $600. Why should I spend $800 more for that fancy new iMac?
>> Especially given that a desktop PC is pretty generic, thusly cheap
>> and easy to maintain... unlike the iMac with it's many proprietary
>> parts.

Again, hence Apple's slogan: Think Different.

I personally regard Apple as an innovator, which is routinely overlooked
by most when making comparisons: the GUI, the mouse, the move away from
generic beige colored boxes, firewire, Newton . . . .  . hell, without
Apple's vision, you might not even have the luxury of palmrests on your
laptop today. Speaking for myself, I don't mind paying a little more in
exchange for their creativity/ ingenuity.  Which of course isn't to say
that they're the only ones making waves out there. I just think the
computing world would be a mundane one without Apple.

And as far as the MHz myth, I don't believe it applies to laptops, since
their primary function is portability, and not necessarily speed. But
that's the old school in me talking. My Rev A TiBook may be slow, but I
get more productivity out of it solely on the merits of its wide screen.

__C
--
Chrys R. Cruz, Exhibit Design & Engineering
Liberty Science Center