>>> I think that unless you are a very
>>> casual home user, expecting a computer to service you WELL for five years
>>> may
>>> now be unrealistic.
>>
>> I think what he means is that maybe he will get a Wintel machine that
>> he can upgrade. Now this is certainly possible and it can happen at a
>> fraction of the price of the "locked in" Macintosh.
>>
>> Unfortunately the Mhz myth is not that much of a myth - PC's in
>> general are really faster for the price and generally have more
>> upgrade options.
>
> That and the fact that PC's lose their value far faster than Mac's.

Part of the reason for that has been the very, very slow tech advancement on
the mac side compared to PC's. Your computer just isn't considered as
"outdated" as quickly as PC tech is.

The other reasons are a lot more complex and involve less computers made
combined with having a single supplier, and their "starting costs".

Michael Bryan Bell