The issue of manual availability aside, your statements are very curious to
me. Let's face it -- Apple is a hardware company -- they make their money by
selling hardware! In a perfect world (for Apple), every day they should be
able to increase market share by attracting brand-new customers, and
certainly the new offerings and OS X are attracting new people to the
platform. But the bulk of Apple sales are to those of us who are already Mac
users/owners. I imagine that some of the reasons pertaining to Applecare
covering only three years is that (1) certainly Apple would like to see that
computer owner come and buy a new machine, but also (2) the improvements come
with such rapidity, that in three years, the machines currently available are
lightyears ahead of the older equipment. I think that unless you are a very
casual home user, expecting a computer to service you WELL for five years may
now be unrealistic. Yes, it will still work, and can be used, but you'd get
so much more value from a new machine. Your concluding statement was most
curious of all -- because of your own perception of Apple's "banditry" you'd
rather get a Wintel machine next time?!?!? Seems like you'll just be shooting
off your own foot. Why would you want to do that to yourself? How do you
think subjecting yourself to dealing with a Wintel machine is going to hurt
Apple, especially since you weren't planning on spending money on a new
machine anyway? Sounds like you're going to inflict far more pain upon
yourself. Good luck.

Michelle

Michelle K. Wachtel, Apple Product Professional, Inspiration to Information
804/794-6435, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
<A HREF="http://www.carbonus.com/23";>www.carbonus.com/23</A> or <A
HREF="http://www.4allnaturals.com/23";>www.4allnaturals.com/23</A>