I agree with most of your post, but this statement doesn't work for me at
all! I have a lob with both Mac's and PC's and although the PC's are easy to
maintain, they require maintenance on a regular basic while the Mac's rarely
do, which is why I have Mac's at home. Also, the PC you get for $600 isn't
nearly as elegant as any newer Mac, including your iMac, but it is cheap
(not inexpensive) if that is the way you want to go.

Most people don't really need to get a  new computer if the one they have
will fill their needs and after all how fast can anyone type!

Tom