On Tuesday, June 11, 2002, at 06:47 PM, Tivo wrote:

> Anyone have experience with Western Digital or any of the other non-top
> line brands? They also have a LaCie 80gig, 7200 for $239. Anyone
> familiar
> with LaCie products? Would I be better served to spend the extra cash
> for
> the IBM?

Western Digital is one of the top of the line brands.  In fact, they
currently make what is probably the very best IDE drive out there right
now, the WD1200JB (I think that's the model), 120GB 8MB cache 7200rpm,
etc.
They'd be a fine choice for a hard drive brand.

LaCie is not a hard drive maker, they're repackaging someone else's
drive.  I've had one LaCie hard drive that has lasted for a long time,
but the plural of anecdote is not data.  ;-)

IBM has been struggling recently after their 75GXP scandal, where
defective design or manufacture led to massive numbers of drive
failures.  It isn't currently apparent if IBM's desktop hard drive
business will survive this, I've seen mention that they'll sell it off.
I haven't heard any complaints about their laptop drives, however.

Andrew