> Western Digital is one of the top of the line brands... They'd be a
> fine choice for a hard drive brand.

I, too, have had THREE Western Digital drives die on me.  The first that
died lost around 60GB's of video render files.  IBM, on the other hand,
I've had good luck with.  The "75GXP Scandal" only involved the 75GXP
drives.  There weren't any more reported failures with the other drive
lines than is normal (or so I've read).  I mean, no drive manufacturer
is perfect these days and you have testimonials from many people against
and for all of them, but WD is the only manufacturer that I'm sure I
wouldn't buy from ever again.

As far as the differences between the external and the internal.  I
didn't realize you were speaking about internal LAPTOP hard drives and
external DESKTOP hard drives (duh, I haven't been getting much sleep
lately).  There are advantages to both.  The externals that you are
speaking of are somewhat bulky and aren't practical for bringing on the
road (or on the train, bus, etc).  If you're moving up from an older
20GB drive I'd spring for the 60GB internal.  It's a fast, quiet drive
and you can take everything you have with you wherever you go.  This is
why, for me, getting an external drive wouldn't be practical, because I
need (or want) everything I have to be with me all the time.  Another
idea would be to get the 48GB drive
( http://dealmac.com/articles/33528.html ).  It's faster, quiet, and
larger than the one you have.  You could get an external case for the
20GB drive you have now, and since that's a smaller drive than the
external ones you're looking at (hence a smaller external case) bringing
it around with you would be more practical.  This way you'd have 68GB of
space in total for less money than the 60GB drive.

Justin