On Wednesday, July 3, 2002, at 10:33 PM, Michael Bryan Bell wrote:

>>> Well, the biggest thing you can do is check your cable. A lot of devices
>>> ship with el cheapo cables which go bad after awhile. If you have
>>> another
>>> comp to try the device on, that'll let you know.
>>>
>>> It's a pretty expensive fix without applecare, requiring a motherboard
>>> replacement.
>>
>> Apple's portable repairs are done "flat rate" these days. It doesn't
>> matter what they have to replace, it's all done for the same price.
>
> Can you please expound on this? I know they have a flat fee for sending it
> in and having it looked at, and for minor repairs.
>
> What you're saying though is that they charge you a flat fee if your
> machine
> is out of warranty to repair and you don't have applecare- ie, if your CD
> drive dies it will cost the same as if you have stabbed a pencil through
> your LCD screen or have to have your logic board replaced, which doesn't
> add
> up with what they've told me.
>
> I know a blown firewire port requires a logic board replacement, which is
> expensive.

I spend considerable time facilitating repairs in to Apple in just these
situations, and arranging payment for them, as part of a very large
installed base.

The flat-rate does not apply to 'abuse' or 'misuse' situations. if you
stab a pen through your LCD they'll charge you the full $1200 for the LCD
(or whatever). the flat-rate applies to if/when your LCD just fails, or
your DVDROM just fails, or your logic board just fails....

The flat rate, for anything deemed a non-abuse failure, is something like
US$300 but may vary based on model. You'd want to call Apple to get the
exact cost as well as a parts/shipping/labor breakout.