At 1:04 AM -0500 7/4/02, Michael Bryan Bell wrote:
>The catch is- what is considered a non-abuse failure. Ie, I just had to send
>in a blue ibook for its hinges, which cost $600. Apple for logic boards
>quotes much more... Their term for abuse was "well, the part shouldn't fail
>if you use it properly" but obviously there is a problem.

Try pbparts.com. They gave me a quote in advance for fixing the hinges on my
Wallstreet, very reasonable.

Does Apple use a phy chip on their FireWire port?

Is the Firewire interface a standard TI PCI firewire part with internal phy?

In either case, if the fault is with the fire signal, replacement of the chips should
fix the problem.

And it very likely that if the fault is in the firewire bus power, there's a small
surface mount chip somewhere that can be replaced.

If you have hot air rework tools and a stereo microscope, replacing surface mount
components is pretty easy.

Paul