I'll preface my post here by stating that IANAL, and that if you want
definitive answers and don't trust the answers you've been getting from
AppleCare techs, you should call and speak to Apple's Customer Relations.

On Thursday, July 4, 2002, at 01:04 AM, Michael Bryan Bell wrote:

> What I've been told is that there is a flat fee, due to the fact that the
> powerbooks are repaired in central locations, and have to be shipped. Ie,
>  if
> your part only cost $100 to fix, it still has the flat fee applied to it.
>
> The catch is- what is considered a non-abuse failure. Ie, I just had to
> send
> in a blue ibook for its hinges, which cost $600. Apple for logic boards
> quotes much more... Their term for abuse was "well, the part shouldn't
> fail
> if you use it properly" but obviously there is a problem.
>
> I guess what I'm saying is- just what have you sent in that was covered by
> that flat fee, and what wasn't? My experiences just don't jive with what
> you're saying, so I'm just trying to gather more information.

All of this ONLY applies to mail-in portable repairs. out of warranty
carry in repairs of desktop units (where you take it to a local AASP) are
another matter altogether; the AASP has to pay for the parts and can
charge you whatever they feel is fair (and you're willing to pay).

Basically, Apple's only charged me the flat rate for every repair that
didn't involve someone dropping or kicking a laptop, or driving a pencil
through the display, or whatnot.

"the part shouldn't fail if you use it properly" is not a valid excuse on
their part and, in fact, the only time I've heard of Apple saying
something like that is when one of my end users has a PHYSICALLY broken
part that they say isn't abuse. "The hinge just broke" or "the cable just
broke" or some such.

> So far my experience has been that if your tibook hinges or firewire ports
> blow and its out of warranty it seems as though it's up to the mercy of
> the
> tech you talk to, although it's a shoo in to get your firewire ports fixed
> if they're under warranty due to all the problems and you may still have
> fight to get your hinges fixed.

unless you give apple some indication that a firewire port was blown
through abuse or misuse, the flat rate applies. the hinges are another
matter for one reason -> MOST of the time, hinges break through abuse,
though there have been reports of the hinges breaking through no misuse by
the user. On a couple of these, Apple has asked us to pay for the repair
(getting a PO from me), but we wound up not being billed.