> I'll preface my post here by stating that IANAL, and that if you want
> definitive answers and don't trust the answers you've been getting from
> AppleCare techs, you should call and speak to Apple's Customer Relations.

Then I should preface mine by stating that IANAL, I never said that I didn't
not believe you or that you were lying- but that it didn't jive with what
apple has told me or others which is why I'm trying to clarify.

> All of this ONLY applies to mail-in portable repairs. out of warranty
> carry in repairs of desktop units (where you take it to a local AASP) are
> another matter altogether; the AASP has to pay for the parts and can
> charge you whatever they feel is fair (and you're willing to pay).

Understood.

> Basically, Apple's only charged me the flat rate for every repair that
> didn't involve someone dropping or kicking a laptop, or driving a pencil
> through the display, or whatnot.

Ok, and you're an applecare tech- I just know for a fact apple is charging
others more. :/ Perhaps your dealings with apple are a little different than
a normal folk's (or a friend who works through apple as a campus tech).

> "the part shouldn't fail if you use it properly" is not a valid excuse on
> their part and, in fact, the only time I've heard of Apple saying
> something like that is when one of my end users has a PHYSICALLY broken
> part that they say isn't abuse. "The hinge just broke" or "the cable just
> broke" or some such.

*nods* Unfortunately, one of the most common failures on tibook's right now
is the hinges, and people are hearing that line a lot. I used to spend a lot
of time on the tibook list before I got rid of mine, and it was very very
common (along with the firewire ports and other issues).

> unless you give apple some indication that a firewire port was blown
> through abuse or misuse, the flat rate applies. the hinges are another
> matter for one reason -> MOST of the time, hinges break through abuse,
> though there have been reports of the hinges breaking through no misuse by
> the user. On a couple of these, Apple has asked us to pay for the repair
> (getting a PO from me), but we wound up not being billed.

I can't agree with you that most of the time hinges break through misuse. I
would consider "most of the time" to mean 90% or more. I've had hinges go
bad on three machines I personally owned (wall street, ibook, tibook) and
none of them even had a scratch on them otherwise, had never been dropped,
and in some cases were only opened and closed once a week or so.

That's three out of six apple laptops- in contrast, I've owned 3 PC laptops
and never had a hinge problem with the exact same treatment (a dell, a
toshiba and an ibm... One horribly vaio purchase that lasted a week so I
don't even consider it as being owned).

Michael Bryan Bell