On Monday, July 22, 2002, at 08:33  AM, Miller, Kimberly wrote:

> BUT.  I'm slightly concerned about investing in a computer for the next 3-4
> years that is already the only computer in Apple's line to still use the
> G3
> processor.  To be short, what it sort of comes down to is that the Powerbook
> costs 33% more than an iBook.  Will it be usable an extra year for a medium
> user like myself?
I don't think that if you buy the TiBook now, it will become "obsolete", since
it'll probably continue to run the next few versions of X
(Jaguar 10.2 and beyond) quite well. As for the iBook, today's models should
be able to run 10.2 well, but as for the versions after that...
well, that's anyone's guess, since it'll be only a matter of time until the
iBooks too get a G4.

If you want to get the Ti, you might want to wait for a little while longer;
  rumours of 1 Ghz PB's before the end of the year are still going around, so
Apple might release a TiBook update before year's end. Come to think of it,
  Apple might release a 1 Ghz iBook around that time soon, since by then all
of Apple's existing product lines should have reached or exceeded the 1 Ghz
mark.

> Of course I would appreciate the better screen and faster performance, but
> not sure I can justify the extra money if it's not likely to outlast the
> iBook in terms of becoming obsolete.
It most likely will in the long term, though for the near future, you should
be safe. I look forward to upgrading my iBook 14" to 10.2 when it comes out.

--
justin

"The Earth is like a broken heart. Whenever something
new grows from it, it breaks a little more. It cracks to allow
space for the new life. I learned that if I didn't allow my
own heart to break, nothing new would happen..."
        -Michael Dean, "The Walled Garden"