robin heath on 7/23/02 6:22 PM wrote:

> so is the day coming (far too soon for my liking) when the newest operating
> system Apple unleashes will be way too bloated to bother installing on my
> old reliable 400MHz Pismo PowerBook?

Actually I've perceived the next OSX upgrade as a becoming more of a
"hardbody" than a bloated upgraded. I look forward to it for my 500MHz iBook
which has only a quarter of the backside cache your machine sports. Even
with the recent addition of 512MB RAM for it (I swapped out a 128MB) it
still doesn't feel as fast as when it ran OS9.2.2.

While Apple has added more features to each upgrade of OSX, they have also
continued fine tuning and streamlining it. OSX.1 compared to the first
release of OSX is significantly faster and more reliable.

I'm sure it has been no easy task to take a UNIX operating system and give
it the look and feel of a Macintosh, which is why there were a number of
basic, familiar functions missing in it's initial release (windowshades,
spring loaded folder etc.). While some of these basics don't seem that
significant, I'm been surprised at the number of times I've
double-click-held a folder in an attempt to drill down, only to remember
that the function is missing.

Oddly, my biggest pet peeve is that command-N now invokes a new window in
the Finder rather than make a new folder. Why? WHY!? Oh well, I'll live.

-makmac