>I'm running OS X, and want to pick up 10.2 when it lands next month. this
>isn't a question of money - it's strictly a matter of how efficiently this
>PowerBook will continue to operate as newer and newer OS's become
>available...

I have this concern as well, but I'm going to upgrade my Pismo and Lombard
to 500 MHz G4s.

Still...

... I was at MacWorld and I overheard one of those guys at the Apple
booth with
Jaguar polo shirts saying how Macs typically last twice as long at PCs,
usually
7 years.

Hello?!!

OS X only runs on G3s at a very minimum. This leaves out a lot of 603,
603e, 604
and 604e machines over just over 6 years ago.

I'm writing this on a 2 year old Pismo that I'm feeling is getting left
in the
dust with OS X, especially w.r.t. to graphics. I don't know but I think
Steve's
reality distortion field is a bit out of tune.

OTOH, OS X 10.2, expect for Aqua Extreme, may be surprising responsive on
older
machines. So I guess we'll just have to see.

Jeff Sz.

--
   The soul would have no rainbow
   had the eyes no tears.