>Hi all,an opinion question,for web surfing and mpeg downloading and
>playing,is a G3 800 as fast or faster than a G4 500mhz machine running
>OS10.2 ? thankyou in advance

In OS 10.2 everything will be a bit faster on a G4, but I'm not sure
about that big of a clock speed gap. If you are going to be doing basic
stuff (downloading, playing music, etc) then go with the cheaper one.
You also might want to look at things other than the CPU speed, such as
hard drive size (essential for all of that music)

I'm assuming you are comparing a PowerBook G4/500 to an iBook/800.

The TiBooks are cooler (figuratively, anyway) and you can add a CD
Burner if it isn't already there.
The screen on the TiBook is MUCH larger than most iBooks's.
The iBook will beat the older TiBook's by a good margin in gaming
because of their much faster and more recent video cards. Also, only the
iBook's video card can do Quartz Extreme.
The iBook is more compact

-Dustin