On Friday, Nov 29, 2002, at 23:42 US/Pacific, Clark Martin wrote:
> Which routers support AppleTalk between the wireless and wired LAN.
> This is a must for me, just to be able to print.  I don't know why
> but this should be difficult but it seems like the device should
> transfer ANY Ethernet packets.

Not packets, frames.  AppleTalk uses it's own frame type, which isn't
the same as  normal Ethernet.  Some devices support it, others don't.

Also, note that you won't be *routing* between the wireless and wired
LAN segments, you're bridging.  The routing is between either of those
segments and the internet segment of the router.  Just FYI.

> As a general question can the wireless routers be used simply as an
> access point.  That is, to connect a wired LAN to wireless computers.
> It seems some at least should be able to based on looking at some
> features.  I have a software router now and want to stick with it
> unless I can find a hardware router than can do as much.

Yep.  Just ignore the internet side port/segment.  I'm using a Netgear
MR814 like this right now.

> Are there any low cost routers that not only do port mapping but also
> remap the port numbers.  I think this is a big limitation of the ones
> I've seen so far.  They'll map one port number to a computer on the
> LAN but what if you have two or more computers you want to make
> available.  For example you can have multiple computers accessible by
> AppleShare IP or Timbuktu by mapping them to different port numbers
> (549, 550,... and 408, 409, ... respectively).

Now I'm confused.  If you want a router in between the wireless and
wired sides of the internal LAN, the cheap internet routers won't do
this.  You could put the single-port Internet side on one side of the
LAN and the wireless on the other, but that seems in conflict with what
I understood you to be saying above.

However, all of the internet routers I've dealt with *can* map
different port maps to different internal IP addresses; not just one.
The limitation they usually have is that they'll only pass unfiltered
traffic to one IP address.

KeS