On 12/9/02 5:36 AM, "Jeremy Derr" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> Spew into the Cybertrough:

> On Sunday, December 8, 2002, at 12:02  PM, Kochkodin wrote:
>
>> That's funny...the tech said the $50 was definitely in case they had
>> to transfer
>> the data to another drive then redo it back to the original...I was
>> surprised at
>> this and made sure to double check about it..  Anyway, the system is
>> under
>> applecare so there shouldn't be any additional charge..If there is, I
>> will raise
>> hell with them about it.  I do have the original 192mg ram it came
>> with...will
>> try that tomorrow (sun)
>
> there are two different $50 charges that AppleCare might charge you...
> I used to be one of the AppleCare phone agents.
>
> the first $50 is for the call, and is sometimes waived if the problem
> requires hardware service.
> the second is for data transfer, but is only charged if the transfer is
> both necessary and successful. this $50 is completely optional.

So my next questions are:

1.  This only applies to Powerbooks under Applecare and through Apple...yes?
(because it d*mn well does not apply to any other machines brought into any
of the shops that I have ever worked at).

2.  This was implemented relatively recently?

The reason I ask is that I don't understand the reasoning behind it.  Why
would Apple transfer data off of a drive?  Why would they offer to take that
responsibility with thousands of failing machines a year? If the processor
is bad they would have no reason to transfer data.  If the drive was truly
bad the transfer (most likely) wouldn't be very successful. What would be
one situation where that would be a necessary and sucessful operation?
Kyle H. Hansen
Apple Certified Technician
Apple Solution Expert
Macintosh Server Administrator