On Monday, December 9, 2002, at 01:56 PM, Obi-Wan wrote:

> 1.  This only applies to Powerbooks under Applecare and through
> Apple...yes?
> (because it d*mn well does not apply to any other machines brought
> into any
> of the shops that I have ever worked at).

well.... through Apple at least. no charge for repairs under AppleCare
Protection Plan, of course.

> 2.  This was implemented relatively recently?

couple of years ago.

> The reason I ask is that I don't understand the reasoning behind it.
> Why
> would Apple transfer data off of a drive?  Why would they offer to
> take that
> responsibility with thousands of failing machines a year? If the
> processor
> is bad they would have no reason to transfer data.  If the drive was
> truly
> bad the transfer (most likely) wouldn't be very successful. What would
> be
> one situation where that would be a necessary and sucessful operation?

it's an non-guaranteed option, value added service. the Apple's retail
stores will offer the same service if you carry-in to them, as well.

even if someone accepts the $50 data transfer fee, Apple doesn't charge
if data transfer was not necessary (that is, the hard drive doesn't
need replacement or reformatting, then there's no transfer and no
charge). Apple also doesn't charge you the $50 if the transfer is
unsuccessful.

most often, data transfer is essential when there is still
troubleshooting to be done before the issue is isolated to a specific
part. for instance, i often will perform a clean install of the Mac OS
before replacing any parts. On some machines, I will even wipe the
drive and restore from the Software Restore CDs.... My goal here is to
make sure that (a) if I replace the part, it fixes the problem and (b)
I replace the right part. Also, if it's a software issue, no part is
ever going to fix the problem. A large percentage of people tend to
insist that every problem they have is hardware... I like to make sure
they're right.