Hello, I'm making the somewhat aggravating transition from LAN only (on a
B&W G3/450 OS X 10.2.3; OS 9.2.2) to a mix of LAN and dial-up internet
access with a laptop (Pismo/400 OS X 10.2.3; OS 9.2.2; sweet little laptop.
A touch slower than the tower (& the difference in video RAM (8 vs 16 MB) is
_very_ noticeable in OS X) but the design is wonderful)).

Aggravating b/c *regularly* Classic apps will fail to work with TCP/IP and I
will have to reboot Classic before they'll access the web again.

What do I mean? Well, the specific error is "DNS not found", and both
Outlook Express and Entourage (Classic version) will throw it up, especially
after sleep (whether on LAN _or_ dialup; on the B&W I *never* saw that error
when on LAN) or if off-line (dial-up only but not connected).

I've been running OS X & Classic & these two Classic apps on my B&W hooked
up to a LAN for nearly two years now and Classic has always operated
smoothly and seamlessly with OS X.

Since the laptop is moving between home and school it has to deal with both
dial-up and LAN access. The DNS problems (*only* in Classic) usually happen
after the machine goes to sleep with Classic active (regardless of whether
I'm on the LAN or dialup), and are *guaranteed* to happen if either app
tries to check/send mail while the modem is not connected.

Does anyone have any inclination as to what the problem could be? I
*reinstalled* both OS X 10.2.3 and OS 9.2.2 yesterday  to see if I could get
rid of the quirk, but it must be something in my configuration.

I have OS X set to automatically connect to the web when TCP/IP is needed,
and I have specified the "connect order" for TCP/IP access in the advanced
menu option: LAN followed by dial-up.

I am fairly sure that the IP addresses for the DNS (3 of 'em) servers are
correct, and I've even fiddled with the order in which I've entered them --
still Classic apps are unable to use the web without a reboot of Classic (a
*major* pain in the derierre if this is how it's always going to be).

AAAARGH. What's the matter with OS X??? What little quirky preference sets
the PB's setting apart from the B&W's?

Thanks for your assistance in advance,
Eric.