on 2/11/03 8:04 PM, Eric D.      at [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> Does anyone have any inclination as to what the problem could be? I
> *reinstalled* both OS X 10.2.3 and OS 9.2.2 yesterday  to see if I could get
> rid of the quirk, but it must be something in my configuration.

> AAAARGH. What's the matter with OS X??? What little quirky preference sets
> the PB's setting apart from the B&W's?

I've been agonizing over similar issues, and maybe my sufferings may help
here. :-) I've just been connected to a neighborhood network that is
Windows-based, and our local access point in our flat is a wireless one. The
antenna he has installed is temporary, and doesnąt get the best reception.

What makes this all difficult is that the service uses DHCP to assign IP
addresses. I wonder if your setup also uses DHCP. If so, that may be your
problem.

What happens in TCP/IP is that if DHCP cannot find a server, then the Mac
assigns itself its own IP address (in the range of 169.254.x.x). Once that
happens, you are cut off from your network. If you are using DHCP, then I
suggest, the next time you have this problem, opening your TCP/IP control
panel, and see if your assigned IP address is within this range. If so, then
this is your problem. I don't know if it will help, but click on the
"Options" button in TCP/IP and see if the check mark "Load only when needed"
is checked. If it is, then your problem is definitely elsewhere. If it isn't
checked, check it, and see if that helps. I'm guessing, however, that it
won't help, because, as you said, the problem occurs when your internet apps
are in the front. What I'm guessing is happening is that your app is trying
to access TCP services before TCP has had the opportunity or ability to
renew its subscription to its IP address, thus causing DHCP to assign its
own, local-only IP address. You may just have to make sure these apps are
either quit, or in the background to stop this from happening.

Of course, I could be all washed up! I haven't used X or Classic in X yet,
so this may not be your problem, but it sure sounds similar to mine! :-)
--
-Jon Glass
Krakow, Poland

"[The] law established by the Creator, which has existed from the beginning,
extends over the whole globe, is everywhere and at all times binding upon
mankind. . . . and is paramount to all human control." --Rufus King, signer
of the Constitution