I had two kernel panics yesterday (both related to dial-up *yet again*, and
both reported the same information as preceding kernel panics). The one was
spectacular in what it did to the display. Here's what I posted to Apple's
discussion forum & it describes the second of the k.p.s (the first happened
when I had the modem disconnected from phone line but computer kept trying
to dialout. After 20 mins or so, k.p.):

I was on the web (but I suspect it was a flakey connection b/c things were
transferring slowly) and I command-tabbed between Chimera and Outlook
Express Classic.

What happened was everything froze solid and ever so slowly the Classic app
appeared in view (over-writing the aqua interface ever so slowly).

Then, what seemed like "burn" happened (at first I thought I was watching my
LCD die) and parts of the screen started going dark and the colours cycled
ever so slowly. I think pixels were still changing (i.e. not just colour but
also underlying OS X vs Classic).

I had to do a three finger salute and when the machine booted back up a
kernel panic had been recorded (I'll post it below).

Can anyone help? Does anyone know anything about this? Is this a hardware
issue and should I take my Pismo (PowerBook G3 Firewire) to an Apple service
center (it's still under extended warrantee)? Or, is this an OS X modem
dial-up thing?