On Friday, August 15, 2003, at 05:41 PM, tivo wrote:

I recently purchased a new iBook, 40gig, 900mHz,640RAM. My Pismo kicked. I'm
using OSX and Office X (only the Word part). I've lots of questions.

How do I get rid of these obnoxious edit-type pop-up menus in the midst of
text? I don't know what makes them occur when I drop the cursor into a word
or section of text. I've tried all the preferences and so forth, but without
success. Is this a Word X problem or can it be adjusted with the OSX?

What are you talking about? I don't get any of those in Word.

My point exactly. They didn't occur with Word in Office 2001, but they do
with Office X, and I can't get them to cease.

Example List in a rectangular box:

Help

Cut
Copy
Paste

Somehow, you're causing the control-click contextual menus to pop up. If you had a two button mouse, I'd say you were pressing the right button somehow. Perhaps something is hitting the control key on your keyboard. Look to how your hands are positioned on the trackpad and keyboard. That it is a new computer is a clue, because those same menus existed in Office 2001, you just weren't causing them to pup up.

There used to be a really cool OS9 app called finderpop that caused the contextual menus to pop up after holding down the mouse button for a length of time. Did you download and install any such thing for OSX? It might be in some other utility. (It wouldn't be Finderpop..that's not been ported)

--
"Wherever you go, there you are." - B. Banzai, Ph.D.
Bruce Johnson