Right,

I was an iBook SE 2000 owner and was a bit miffed about no hardware
acceleration for my video card when X came out. My iBook was really
almost unusable in X with the slow video redraws. I too bought a Pismo
that I upgraded with the G3 900 upgrade and a gig of RAM so I am not
complaining now, but the iBook was never really meant to be upgraded.
Putting a 60GB hard drive in the Pismo took 10 minutes...I have seen
pictures of swapping a drive in an iBook and it was not pretty...you've
got to take a few hundred pieces apart. RAM maxes out low due to a
soldered main chip so the issue really is that Apple purposely builds in
obsolescence into some of their computers...the lower end, and develop
their OS to work best with the newest hardware, so we'll buy new
machines. They're bread and butter is hardware so if we could all still
use our 98-2000 machines with Panther (aside from my Pismo which does
run Panther quite nicely, but cost a pretty penny to upgrade), they're
going to continue to innovate for the new hardware. Right or wrong it
makes good business sense. Should they be responsible for making claims
that don't quite pan out? Maybe...the lawyers are looking to make the
real money, while some consumers feel that they deserve something based
on the principle that they've been misled. I had my yo-yo power adapter
spark, melt the power cable and burn a bit recently and called Apple.
They sent me a new one right out, yet there is even now a law firm
looking for people to complain on just this issue so they can file a
class action. Since Apple took care of me, fair is fair and nobody was
hurt, but if this is as common as the lawyers want you to believe and
there is a safety hazard, that is a different story altogether.

But that's a whole different can of worms there isn't it.

I did follow the thread at the beginning before it turned into a class
action. I think the original intent was to force Apple to complete the
ATI
RageLT driver so that those users would benefit from video hardware
acceleration. I did drop the ball when I moved to a Pismo, so I don't
really
what happened, but it looks like Apple didn't want to do it, hence it
resulted in a class-action...

Just my $0.02...

-Laurent.
===
Laurent Daudelin                    Developer, Multifamily, ESO, Fannie
Mae
mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]                   Washington, DC,
USA