On Feb 29, 2004, at 5:51 PM, AKR wrote:

With desktops, well, there it's a toss-up. In my experience (non Powerbook) Macs either break right away (within the 1 year warrantee), or don't do so for years and years, and things that do break are reasonably cheap to replace (primarily HDD's and optical drives).

This is not completely correct. The repairs can be very expensive. I bought Applecare on both of my iMacs. Both required costly repairs just shortly after the end of the standard 1 year warranty. In fact, on the first one - I bought Applecare just days before the end of the 1st year. 2 weeks later, smoke started pouring out the back of the computer and it required several hundred dollars worth of repairs and parts, not to mention labour. The Applecare cost me $149.00 CDN. The repairs/labour were $980.00.

I had the same experience with my iMac. It was giving me trouble just before the warranty ran out, so I bought Applecare. It turned out to need a new motherboard. I'm quite certain that paid for Applecare.