I wrote:
> Dang it, I really want to hack Battery Reset to run on Pismo, it's gotta
> be possible!
<followed by a sorrowful plea for help>

To which Laurent Daudelin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> replied:
>You could try posting to comp.sys.mac.programmer...

Excellent idea! I'm not quite sure I hadn't noticed the
comp.sys.mac.programmer.whatever usenet hierarchy - not a programmer I
guess. <G>

Craig W. <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> then asked:
>Say; can Battery Reset be used on a 2400c?
I doubt it, the battery's internal controller is probably different from
the supported 'Books batteries. However, that gets me to wondering how
any 'Book communicates with its battery . . . programatically that is. I
don't have a 2400 battery. Anyone with both 2400 and 3400 LiIon batts
care to rip open an example of each and provide some internal details?
:-) Since I have both, I _could_ however compare 'Books' 3400 and
Wallstreet batterys' internals.

In theory it may be possible to create a utility (or modify BR) to write
data to a battery's controller chip. I just don't know enough about any
of this to even guess how difficult that might be to accomplish.

Drew Kershaw chimed in:
>I don't know if this will help or not, but I can send a report of
>what GestLab has selected for my Pismo
<snip>
Nah thanks anyway, since I do have both Lombard and Pismo I generated
complete GestLab reports awhile back. That's what I figger to put online,
along with some MacsBug logs and whatever else little I know.

Drew again:
>Does anyone know for certain that the charging circuit/PMU are
>identical in the Pismo and Lombard?
<snip>
Nope, but that's an excellent question. I've made the assumption they are
the same but I could easily by waay wrong. Since the PB-to-battery comm
facility is a serial interface I suppose I could go in search of serial
chips on the charging boards. I'm thinking though that it shouldn't
matter, since the specific hardware is probably abstracted by the OS.
That is, BR just sends some commands to the battery through the OS which
handles the actual communication.

It dawns on me that perhaps the supported PB's _CAN_ write to their
batteries, but because of different HW a Pismo _CANNOT_ write. Anyone
know if a Pismo _can_ write to its LiIon battery in _any_ circumstance?
As in say, resetting the power manager or something? Obviously if Pismo
is so-limited in HW I'll get nowhere with this vainglorious quest. :-/

Drew again:
>Sorry that I can't help you with MacsBug - I know next to nothing
>about the debugger.
Heck if I know if I even need MacsBug, but I figured if I could trap the
sysenvirons calls and see the differences between Lombard's and Pismo's
differentiate the PBs. It's fun to play with actually, once you know a
few basic commands. BTW, anyone know if there's a similar debugger for OS
X?

and finally Ned <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> poses an excellent question:
>I hate to ask what must be a stupid question, but with as much interest
>and desire as there is on the subject of Battery Reset, isn't it odd that
>Apple hasn't written a version for the Pismo?  Might there be a reason?
>Has anyone asked Apple about an update that will work on a Pismo?

AFAIK Apple has not created a Pismo-compatible battery reset utility nor
any updates to BR. As I speculate above, it's surely possible Pismo's
battery interface cannot write to its batteries. That would go a long way
toward explaining the absence of a Pismo-compatible battery reset tool.

Hmmmmmmm, I'm thinking (uh-oh!! :-) since the PB-to-battery comm is done
over a serial interface, might it be possible to directly capture (on
Lombard of course) what BR 'says' to the battery and then use that to
connect to, and reset, a battery over an external serial interface? Not
that Pismo _has_ a serial interface. Hmmmm, inquiring mind wants to know
. . .

     Time to dig into some technotes _and_ some HW!

Dan K (I apologize for the run-on folks, I realize this topic isn't for
everyone :-)

http://macdan.n3.net/
carracho://dankephoto.dhs.org:9700
hotline://dankephoto.dhs.org:9500