From: "Dan Colwell" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: ...WiFi why?.....
Date: Thu, 20 May 2004 19:57:13 -0600

"a router that will let you print to a USB printer connected to the
router".... I'm not sure if I am following this exactly.
First, my situation. I use a Belkin router that has wireless (b) and 4
ethernet ports. My daughter has an iMac with an Epson USB printer. My son
hooks up his PC via ethernet and I use my Pismo w/ an airport card. I can
easily print over the network to my daughters Epson from my Pismo. No
running back to her desk every time I need to use it. So yes, with a Belkin
(for $40 from Best Buy) I can print using this USB printer.
Second, my question. Is there an advantage to connecting the printer
directly to the router? (maybe no desktop at the router?) Or is my situation
what you meant. My router happens to have a USB port, but I thought it was
for the internet connection. I'm at work, so can't look at the manual until
I get home.

Thanks for any enlightenment,
Dan-

If the printer is hooked up directly to the router then the iMac wouldn't need to be running for others to print. I have a Canon inkjet hooked up to my iMac and when I want to print something in color I have to go wake it up.

---
JSH
TiBook