On 21/05/04 11:55, "Jeff Greffe" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I got my hands on a Hardware Test CD ... (well, found it in my junk
> pile ! I never used it before !)
> To all test:
>
> Airport     No device found
> Logic Board     No device found
> Mass Storage     No device found
> Memory     No device found
> Modem     No device found
> Video RAM     No device found
>
> Now, I was pretty sure that I needed a new processor daughtercard, but
> shouldn't it find some stuff ??
> When I click on details, I can see the RAM at 320Mb, the hard drive at
> 6 gigs ... and the video card, rage 128 at ... 0Mb !!
> That's strange ?  or the VRAM is also on the daughtercard ?
>
> I also put it in Firewire target mode and can see the hard drive.  ran
> a test on it, looks good.
>
> Also, before I put in another processor, I want to make sure because I
> can smell some burned plastic coming out of the powerbook.  Will I fry
> another card if I put it like that ?  Is there anything I can do to
> check so I would not fry the replacement ?

Maybe the application you use on the CD needs a running processor in order
to query the system for installed components? In any case, if you need a new
processor daughtercard, does it mean the current one doesn't work? If so,
how can you run the tests?

If you smell burned plastic, then there is almost certainly something
shorted out. Could be the AC/Sound board or the logicboard. It's hard to
tell. That's the kind of things that only a skilled technician would be able
to diagnose. You could check with PowerBookMedic I think in Toronto. I think
they do troubleshooting for reasonable rates.

-Laurent.