Date: Thu, 17 Jun 2004 19:25:04 -0600
From: Andrew Kershaw <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Using Apple DVD-Rom ATA/IDE drive/Wallstreet II?

Well, do the combo drive have builtin hardware DVD movie decoding that
Apples DVDplayer can utilize? I'd guess not, as the Lombard didn't work,
so you were using the G4s builtin.

I think you might be confusing things a bit here. The DVD-ROM/+/-R/RW drive itself doesn't have any logic that _decodes_ DVDs. That is done completely by the host computer (either with hardware assistance or totally in software).

The Lombard doesn't have the horsepower to decode DVDs in software,
so there's a CardBus card (actually a combo zoomed video card, IIRC)
that does the decoding in hardware.  Without that card, you can't
play DVDs in OS 9.  I don't have any experience with OS X software
DVD playback, but the CardBus card isn't supported in OS X.

The 333mhz Lombard requires a PC card, the 400mhz model has a decoder chip on the motherboard.
---
JSH
TiBook