Andrew, [EMAIL PROTECTED] said:

>I think you might be confusing things a bit here.  The
>DVD-ROM/+/-R/RW drive itself doesn't have any logic that _decodes_
>DVDs.  That is done completely by the host computer (either with
>hardware assistance or totally in software).
>
>The Lombard doesn't have the horsepower to decode DVDs in software,
>so there's a CardBus card (actually a combo zoomed video card, IIRC)
>that does the decoding in hardware.  Without that card, you can't
>play DVDs in OS 9.  I don't have any experience with OS X software
>DVD playback, but the CardBus card isn't supported in OS X.

Ehum, I thought I was saying this precisely. As the Cardbus card isn't
used as it is unsupported under OS X, then what is left is software decoding.

>There's sort of a misnomer here.  The higher end laptops do software
>decoding, but they hand a large part of the work off to the video
>card.  So while there's no true MPEG2 hardware decoder on the video
>card, the video card is still doing a lot of work and not leaving it
>all for the CPU.

I think this must not be 100% correct as I have no problem looking at a
DVD Disc in my Powerbook G4/400 without dropped frames, but for DivX
(Mpeg4, so may ask for more horsepower or SVCD (Mpeg 2 I think?) I have
to adjust the software to drop frames to maintain audio/video synch. I
though the difference was due to that I had DVD mpeg 2 hardware decoding
builtin?

To try and prove my point I ripped the trailer for "24hour party people"
that can show no problem from the disc at full screen, but the raw Mpeg 2
movie loses time with audio, unless you drop frames. You think something
else is going on than mpeg 2 hardware decoding?
If what you say is true, why can't common software utilize the video card?