From: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: VHS>DVD and TV tuner
Date: Mon, 21 Jun 2004 14:36:09 -0400

Just when I was definitely sure I knew what I needed/wanted, I realized I didn't. I have a LombardG3 400 with a firewire2Go card and a 60GB HD. I do not have a DVD burner for the PB or in any other form yet.
What I would like, first of all, is to transfer VHS tapes to DVD. There are DVD recorders that can do it, as well as record TV shows. I also like the idea of recording TV shows into the PB, then burning them to CD (CVD?.)I almost went to BestBuy yesterday for a DVR machine with Tivo, but realized in time that it doesn't burn to DVD disc.
There's EyeTV, MyTV, lots of DVD recorders with inputs for VCR cables. Help!

Can someone guide me before I make a mistake I can't afford?

Willi

If you want to convert video to DVD with a Lombard, you'll need Toast as a minimum. I don't think iDVD will install, and it doesn't work with external drives anyway. You can burn an iMovie project with Toast, but be prepared for it to take a very long time to digitize the video. I mean like overnight to prepare it.
Then, you will need to convert the VHS to digital. There are hardware devices to do that, but you might also look for a digital video camera that can accept RCA inputs for nearly the same price (I have a Canon ZR40).

---
JSH
TiBook