Hi all,

I use a Formac Studio TVR for analog to digital conversion. Only $299 and it's *totally* seamless when converting from just about any analog source to iMovie. I agree with Jeff that a DV cam works great for this (I have a Sony 730 digital-8 deck,) but for plug-it-in-and-it-works Mac-like conversion, it's hard to compete with the Formac unit. Here's the tutorial:

Plug a 6 pin firewire cable into your Mac.
Plug the other end of the cable into the Studio TVR.
Plug the three rca cables (or the one S-Video cable and the audio cables) into your analog source unit.
Plug the other end of these cables into the Studio TVR.
Turn on the Studio TVR (switch on the side.)
Start iMovie.
Start importing video.

I don't work for them... I was just shocked out of my mind when I tried it and it worked just like I expected it to. It also works as a TV Tuner... very nice.

smiles,
Jamie