on 23/06/04 06:35, Bob at [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> The National Enquirer reports at 11:58 PM -0400 6/22/04, Laurent
> Daudelin wrote:
>
>> on 22/06/04 20:30, Bob at [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

>>> That's the official stance, Jeff. But it seems like in Macdom, where
>>> there's a will, there a way.
>>>
>>> Check out:
>>> Xlr8yourmac.com has a report of a hack reported on another site that
>>> permits iDVD to encode a project to .dmg or burn to an ext FW DVD
>>> burner.
>>> <http://forum.rpc1.org/viewtopic.php?t=23370&highlight=iDVD+external+b
>>> urner+dmg>
>>
>> Maybe, but there is no way you'll be able to run iDVD on a Lombard...
>
> I don't disagree with that. What are the official parameters? A
> 733MHz G4 or faster? I don't know what the real-world parameters are.
> But the Lombard is long way from that.
>
> I have seen a lot of people who only knew the official line, quoted
> by Jeff -- that iDVD could only run on an internal DVD drive. I
> simply wanted to let folks know that there are ways around that (of
> course, only if you have you have the horses under the hood).
>
> I remember when iMovie came out, it wasn't supposed to be able to run
> on a 266 MHz Wallstreet II (too slow according to Apple). But I
> remember seeing it running on one. The same with Panther. So I prefer
> real-world accounts rather than the party-line.

Bob,

No offense intended. iDVD uses the Altivec engine to do the encoding so
that's why it won't work on a G3, which lacks Altivec. As for the processor
speed, I have been using it on my old B&W G3 that I did upgrade to a 500MHz
G4. It takes overnight to encode a DVD but it works...

-Laurent.
Logiciels Nemesys Software               mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]

copy protection n.: A class of methods for preventing incompetent pirates
from stealing software and legitimate customers from using it. Considered
silly.