The National Enquirer reports at 7:24 AM -0700 6/22/04, Jeff Hubatka wrote:

> > From: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> > Subject: VHS>DVD and TV tuner
> > Date: Mon, 21 Jun 2004 14:36:09 -0400
> >
> > Just when I was definitely sure I knew what I needed/wanted, I
> > realized I didn't. I have a LombardG3 400 with a firewire2Go card and
> > a 60GB HD. I do not have a DVD burner for the PB or in any other form
> > yet.
> > What I would like, first of all, is to transfer VHS tapes to DVD.
> > There are DVD recorders that can do it, as well as record TV shows. I
> > also like the idea of recording TV shows into the PB, then burning
> > them to CD (CVD?.)I almost went to BestBuy yesterday for a DVR machine
> > with Tivo, but realized in time that it doesn't burn to DVD disc.
> > There's EyeTV, MyTV, lots of DVD recorders with inputs for VCR cables.
> > Help!
> >
> > Can someone guide me before I make a mistake I can't afford?
> >
> > Willi
>
>If you want to convert video to DVD with a Lombard, you'll need Toast
>as a minimum. I don't think iDVD will install, and it doesn't work with
>external drives anyway.

That's the official stance, Jeff. But it seems like in Macdom, where
there's a will, there a way.

Check out:
Xlr8yourmac.com has a report of a hack reported on another site that
permits iDVD to encode a project to .dmg or burn to an ext FW DVD
burner.
<http://forum.rpc1.org/viewtopic.php?t=23370&highlight=iDVD+external+b
urner+dmg>

and

You can enable the hidden support for external burners with HPfurz.
<http://forum.rpc1.org/viewtopic.php?t=23370>

Cheers,

Bob