On PowerBook G3 Series without built-in DVD decoder hardware (Wallstreet
and most 333 Lombards), the DVD decoder cardbus card decodes the DVD and
plays it back through the zoomed-video pins in the PC card slot. That
video is fed directly to the display, bypassing the internal ATI display
driver hardware.

Err, that's under classic Mac OS (8/9), not OS X, as of course we all
know Apple has never released hw DVD decoder drivers for X.

Pismo's (and 400 Lombard's) ATI display hardware _does_ include a
built-in hardware DVD decoder. Also, Pismo's system is fast enough to
decode using its G3 (but Lombard's ain't.) The later OS 9 DVD Player app
(v.??) uses the G3 rather than the ATI hw decoder.

At some point Apple decided to separate the DVD playback function from HW
dependencies, esp since overall their systems were getting fast enough to
not need a separate HW decoder.

Dan K

http://macdan.n3.net/
carracho://dankephoto.dhs.org:9700