On Aug 10, 2004, at 8:28 AM, Greg Gilmore wrote:

Many thanks for the answers, Jan!

Q1: Yes, theoretical speed - depends on the distance from the base station,
objects in the way (walls, etc.), other electronics that can interfere with
the signal (home wireless phones, microwaves, ...). But theoretically yes. You
are not going to notice the difference though.

OK. So, there appears to be no point in buying an Extreme base station,
unless I wanted to invest in Extreme now in anticipation of future computer
upgrades, right? Or not worth it?

Right. Remember, a regular 802.11b base station is more than capable of saturating virtually any home broadband connection, so the only place you would possibly see a speed increase is between to 802.11g equipped systems in your local lan. (or systems connected via 100mbit or better ethernet.) Speed out to and from the Internet will not speed up.

--
Bruce Johnson

This is the sig who says 'Ni!'