As I think I've shared, I started having problems with my hard drive a few weeks ago (about 2 I think).

Errors appeared in the system log about an UNDEFINED problem in disk0s3 that coincided with the system lockups that I was having.

TechTools reported Error -4 with the disk... no errors for RAM or anything else.

'cp' and 'ditto' processes also had errors with input/output.

So I called up Applecare, they set up a return. I packaged it all up and included the TechTools report as well as several files that were corrupted all located in a folder called "CorruptedItems" -- a few of which came from iTunes, which would explain why it kept locking up because I had my iPod plugged in at the time which launched iTunes.

I went through the process of backing up my files and called DHL and the driver came around 4:30 on Monday afternoon.

The package was returned to me early Wednesday afternoon. That's less than two full days that the machine was gone, repaired, and returned. That's the impressive part.

Here's the unimpressive part. The Powerbook came back with a note saying "We diagnosed the problem as 3rd party hardware [a 512mb RAM chip from Crucial.com which I've had since early June]. Your iBook passed all tests after removing this 3rd party hardware."

Several times this form letter refers to my 'iBook' (which was really a Powerbook).

From all appearances, they did replace the hard drive (it left with 10.3.5 and came back with 10.3.4, with just the bare software installed -- so it was either replaced or reformatted), and the system appears to be working fine.

I think placing the blame on the RAM chip sounds like a bunch of hooey to me. The RAM has been in there for months and I've never had a problem with Crucial RAM before. I'll leave it out for a couple days and see if I have any problems when I put it back in, but first I want to fill the drive back up again first and see if we get errors again.

Anyway, the speed was great, but I'm skeptical about the diagnosis, and really hope they replaced the drive.

TjL