On 9/2/04 11:05 AM, "Thomas Ethen" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> If you send any computer back to Apple for any work, it should go back just
> as you got it RAM wise to avoid that issue with them.
>
> Tom
>
>> I think placing the blame on the RAM chip sounds like a bunch of hooey
>> to me.  The RAM has been in there for months and I've never had a
>> problem with Crucial RAM before.  I'll leave it out for a couple days
>> and see if I have any problems when I put it back in, but first I want
>> to fill the drive back up again first and see if we get errors again.
>>
>> Anyway, the speed was great, but I'm skeptical about the diagnosis, and
>> really hope they replaced the drive.

To be fair, I'm sure Apple's techs work much the same way the guys at the
shop where I work do. They run diagnostics first. If the graphics diagnostic
fails or if the hard drive diagnostic fails the tech isn't going to pull the
RAM and send the computer back as repaired.

But if the diagnostic test doesn't show up any problem the fun begins. The
*easy inexpensive* way to deal with this is to return the computer to stock
conditions. So the hard drive gets format the OS reinstalled and any upgrade
is removed. If the problem is resolved then our techs will reinstall the
upgrades to see if the problem remains resolved. One tech reinstalls them
one at a time and the other installs all of them and then pulls them all and
reinstalls one at a time. A difference of pessimism vs optimism. The *easy
expensive* way is to install new innards. I think we can understand that the
expensive way isn't chosen.

One major problem that we techs face today is that RAM can be flaky but
still pass the RAM tests. This drove our guys nuts when the new alBooks were
first released.

david