On Thu, Sep 2, 2004 at 2:06 am -0400, Timothy Luoma wrote:

>Here's the unimpressive part.  The Powerbook came back with a note
>saying "We diagnosed the problem as 3rd party hardware [a 512mb RAM
>chip from Crucial.com which I've had since early June].  Your iBook
>passed all tests after removing this 3rd party hardware."

[snip]

>I think placing the blame on the RAM chip sounds like a bunch of hooey
>to me.  The RAM has been in there for months and I've never had a
>problem with Crucial RAM before.  I'll leave it out for a couple days
>and see if I have any problems when I put it back in, but first I want
>to fill the drive back up again first and see if we get errors again.

I had a similar experience with Applecare (in the UK). The Powerbook was
returned with my 512mb chip taped to the outside, labelled 'suspect 3rd-
party memory'. Apple eventually offered the explanation that after
replacing the logic board, the pb was crashing at startup with the RAM in
place.

I sent it back to them, with a note inside explaining politely that the
module had been in place for 2.5 years, through several system upgrades
and a firmware upgrade, and that although I realised that RAM can go bad
at any time, I thought it very unlikely that the RAM was the problem.

The machine came back with the RAM reinstalled, working perfectly.

TimH