One thing that is undeniable is that they are putting the screws to those who want to use their own version of Windows with VPC by delaying the release of the VPC without an OS.

Understandable. One of the things that I am waiting for as well.

If you have VPC ready to ship but are waiting for SP2 to be released, there's still no reason why you can't release the Windows 2000 version or the version without an OS.

I disagree there, if for no other reason that they wanted to test compatibility with SP2 before they released it. I think that made sense. It's the same binary with a different OS image file.

And they advertise VPC 6 as only working with Win2000 and WinXP, when in fact it will work with 95 and 98 as well.

Agreed it will work, but 95 and 98 aren't what they consider supported OSes for the most part. Marketers suck ;)

ps - btw I fully expect that Longhorn will have some kind of integrated VPC (ala "Carbon") if Microsoft follows through on their plan to break all existing Windows programs for it...

There are products in beta that let you run multiple virtual servers on top of Windows 2003. I can see them integrating some of that, but then again, they may want to charge extra for that feature set, like they do now with terminal services.

Steve