iDVD doesn't support burning to external DVD-R drives, but there is a patch. I've used it successfully on a G4 Cube with an external firewire burner.

That said, I think the encoding will take a quite a bit longer on a Pismo G3 than on any G4. I'm not sure how well iMovie runs on a G3, so you'll have to play with it.