Brian,

I think that it would not have erased the files IF you were set to manually manage playlists. There are c couple of utilities that will load music files from an iPod to the computer. I think most of theme have links at iPodLounge. But a backup is always best. I would NOT want to have to redo mine as I not only have 300+ CD's but also a lot of music from analog sources (vinyl or tapes) and they are a major pain to get done just because of the time involved.

JeffW.