On 27-Mar-05, at 7:57 PM, Cheryl Goody wrote:

Aloha Group!

My first post although I've been lurking for quite a while and have learned
loads. Tried my local user group, but so far no solution.

This is a new problem for me -- I've never seen it before. Whenever I insert
a blank disk in my PowerBook (Pismo) or in my external QueFire burner, it is
not recognized.

Hi Cheryl,

I am having exactly the same problem with my G4 Al PB. It is not reading blank disks that my friend's PB is able to read instantly. This only started happening for me recently and I called Applecare.

I have not been able to figure out why it suddenly started doing this as it was working perfectly before. I have tried all the things you have - i.e. repair permissions, checking preferences etc and went through all of that again with the Applecare tech before they agreed it was probably a hardware problem.

I won't know until I get it in for them to check over but have been sick for the past couple of weeks so haven't been able to get it down there yet.

It is possible you have a hardware problem but it is quite possible we are both unaware of some other sort of solution.

Amber