I have to agree with Craig. I originally installed Tiger as an upgrade on my G5 iMac but I didn't like how things were working....I had installed a lot of the haxies and such. So I copied my hard drive to an external hard drive and did a clean install of Tiger.
I used the Migration Assistant to bring over stuff. But I had a few applications that I had bought online and I kept the registration in an email archive. In the past (when I upgraded from 10.2 to 10.3) I had to open the entire file in textedit and use the 'find' feature for the various apps (maybe I should think about storing them somewhere else..or maybe hard copy). Anyway, with Tiger, I clicked on spotlight and typed in the name of the application. Spotlight found the email archive on the external drive, searched the entire file and had the information for me in UNDER 10 SECONDS! Now, I was EXTREMELY impressed!
In addition to speeding up my iBooks, 2002 Quicksilver and iMac, Tiger is just really fast and I'm still looking for the 'bugs' (hype on the part of some nay-sayers).
And, best of all, Apple BEAT Microsoft to the release of a 64 bit OS. Running Tiger makes me proud!
But, for those of you who still prefer to stay with your present OS, it it OS 8.6 or whatever.....that's just fine and dandy. But keep in mind that Apple doesn't support them anymore and there isn't going to be a lot of new software coming your way. Nothing wrong with running an upgraded 7300....I applaud you, that's how I started out when I decided to make the switch from Windows to the Mac, but progress is so much more fun. And, that's what I use my Mac for is FUN!

Tim