Apple is indeed going to "start" using Intel processors sometime in 2006. Check Apple's home page. Jobs made that announcement at the WWDC Keynote last Monday.

However, there was no word about x86 architecture. Jobs only ever said (purposefully?) Intel processors, conspicuously not mentioning x86.

Apple will continue to use PowerPC in the "Pro" model Macs into 2007 and possibly beyond, depending on IBM. Apple will be making computers based on CPUs from Freescale, IBM, as well as Intel starting in 2006.

Unfortunately, IBM has abandoned PowerPC development for the purposes of Apple's computers. There is no way a current PPC 970 (G5) will work in a PowerBook, they are actually too hot for the current Power Mac, and IBM has refused to develop something cooler for Apple. Freescale is still working with the "G4" chip, yet that really is not a long-term option for Apple. Apple does not want to be left hanging dead on the vine without a CPU to make computers with.

I think this move has been in the works for quite some time. OS X has had an Intel version since day one, for five years. Remember, OS X is derived from NeXTStep, which was processor independent. Intel's new CEO is very "pro-Mac" and always compliments Apple, Macintosh, and Jobs in his speeches. Seems he has been courting Apple and Jobs for awhile. Intel does have a very good, and more importantly long-term, "roadmap" for chip development, especially for Macs mini, iMacs, iBooks, and PowerBooks.

This will turn out to be very good for Apple and OS X come 2007. I think Intel has something new that may be used exclusively at first in Apple machines. Intel machines running OS X are already available to developers to start porting software. The process is actually much easier than the 68k -> PPC and OS 9 -> OS X transitions. This will be very good for Apple once the bumps are smoothed out.

Best regards,
Scott

Hello all,

I have heard this now from more than one source.  I was under the
impression that the rumor that Apple was going to eventually leave the
PowerPC architecture altogether was just a rumor.  Please tell me this
isn't true.  While this may not bother some Mac users, HALF of the
reason I even use a Mac is due to the superior PowerPC architecture.
Thanks for any input,

Zoltan
THE BLUETOOTH (and WiFi) MASTER