On Jul 21, 2005, at 4:20 AM, Francesco sciacca wrote:

hi folks,
a friend just bought a new shiny 15" G4 and we have a couple of questions to
get started:
- filling in the registration at startup and sending to Apple is enough to have the PB registred (with serial Nr., etc) to her name for all purposes?
Or is something else needed?

You mean for warrantee coverage, proof of ownership and such? It should, here in the states you don't need to register anything to get such coverage, but I don't know about the UK. Hold onto the receipt; that's the main thing of proof of purchase. If you got Applecare, there should be instructions with it to ensure activation.

- I think I vaguely remember somebody mentioning additional services for registering the Serial Nr. There's such a thing? If yes, does it make sense?
(we are in the UK)

Well, they send you spam if you give them your e-mail address and if you don't check the 'don't send me mail' box.

- Battery: there was some advice for getting started on the right foot with the battery. Was it charging up for some time, or discharging it to the
bone, baking, freezing, I can't recall. I remember the practice of
discharging it totally about once a month and the discharge to 40% + cool it
to maintain whwn not used for long times.

The best procedure, as I understand it is to put the battery through several charge/recharge cycles right away. Charge it up, use it on the battery until the system says to charge the battery, repeat.

If it's going to sit on the desk for a long time, only using the AC adapter, take the battery out. If you're going to store it, store it in a cool, dry place, preferably in a ziplock with a silicon dry pack. You don't need to refrigerate it, barring that you live in the tropics.

The current LiIon batteries do NOT like to be discharged to the bone

--
Bruce Johnson

"No matter where you go, there you are", B. Banzai