On Aug 16, 2005, at 4:23 PM, Karen Thompson wrote:

Only in America! It's a sad commentary on money, greed and conspicuous
consumption in this country.

If you think "Only in America", oh, dear, you are so, sooo wrong...greed is a natural human condition.

I think you are right Michelle, some of these
will definitely end up on eBay. Why didn't they just donate to the Christina
Foundation or another charitable org and take the write off?

Because as a government entity they're non-profit, ergo, no tax write- off and they have to go through specific procedures dispose of surplus systems; most of the time these rules are deeply convoluted because people are always good at manipulating them for personal profit.

Also, having worked in .edu and non-profits for quite a while, I can tell you that our systems tend to get run into the ground before we send 'em off to Surplus Property.

Of course at
the college I worked for, they just put Macs in the dumpster. Go figure!

Hey, more for the dumpster divers! I should hope you rescued at least some of them...

--
Bruce Johnson

This is the sig who says 'Ni!'