In a message dated 9/15/05 9:54:36 PM, [EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

<<
Obviously the first thing I need is the DVD burner. Probably will go
with the internal. But I was wondering if I had enough horsepower to
accomplish this. Anybody out there burning DVDs on a Pismo? What
upgrades would help the most? G3 900 or G4 500? More RAM? Faster hard
drive speed?

I added a +/- two-layer CD/DVD drive compatible with 10.3 and 10.4 (Pioneer
DVR-K05) to my Lombard and Pismo.

All CD operations are OK.

DVD playing is OK.

I have never successfully created a DVD, in toto, but I have created partial
DVDs.

The problem appears to be a noisy environment between the DVD drive and the
motherboard.

Perhaps not enough ground wires.

The drive's manual is quite explicit about DVD writing, stating that full
performance from the drive *requires* an 80-wire/40-pin UATA/100-type cable.

The drive itself has no problem creating DVDs in a Blue & White G3/450, on
the "multiword" bus, which *is* equipped with an 80-wire/40-pin UATA/100-type
cable, even though it is not otherwise required, as the data rate on that bus
is
limited to 16.67 MB/sec.

I bought an accessory adapter which converts the drive to standard interface,
and which could be useful in a Firewire case, as well as for testing in a
desktop or tower. $6.95.

Note that the Pismo and Lombard both have issues with their EIDE/UATA chips,
and these cannot accept drives which cannot negotiate *down* to lower ATA
performance levels (the earlier Wallstreets can).

All Samsungs, and many later Hitachi/IBMs and Toshibas are not compatible
with the Pismo and Lombard.

The Hitachi/IBM 5K80 series, if you can find one, *is* compatible, and you
will need that storage should you solve the problem of support of the Pioneer
DVR-K05, or the equally capable Panasonic UJ-845.

My Lombard and Pismo each have a 60 GB Hitachi/IBM 5K80. My Wallstreets each
have a 40 GB Samsung.

All are 5400 rpm drives with large caches (8 MB?), FDB bearings, and all the
other "usual suspect" features.

Since the B&W 450 with its 100 MHz bus is about equal to a 400 or 500 MHz
Pismo with its 100 MHz bus, I don't think more than a G3, or more than 400 or
500
MHz is required.

The faster CPU could be of use if you are using Mac The Ripper to "rip" DVDs
and then burn unprotected copies which are downsampled (compressed) to fit on
a one-layer DVD.

The time to do such compression on a 450 MHz machine with a 100 MHz bus is
about equal to the running time of the movie itself.

Converting the 2 hr 40 min "The High and the Mighty" from dual-layer to
one-layer took 2 hrs and 40 min, not including the initial reading of the
chapters,
or the verification of the DVD. This, on the B&W, of course.

Since the internal option seems to be a no-go, you may want to consider an
external Firewire option instead.