On Oct 9, 2005, at 1:18 PM, Tobias Strohe wrote:

Dear Listas/essas,

I have been lurking mostly, but recent events warrant some verbage. I
apologize right away, if (when) this gets lengthy.

On my annual vacation this year my Powerbook G4 died (with some 500
not-yet-backed-up photos on it). Here is my story to this point and my
request for help:

1. Powerbook died and won't go beyond a grey backlit screen on startup

Some additional information:
12" PB G4 (bought from Apple refurb), 1 Ghz, 768 MB RAM, Superdrive,
Airport Extreme, unit has been in my possession for about 1.5 years, I
do have Applecare 3 year extension

Any help, comments, different opinions/experiences, etc. are very
welcome,
tobias

If you have a second machine with firewire boot the PowerBook in Firewire mode (hold T key). This will allow you to connect to another machine via firewire cable. The powerbook will show up on the other machine as a firewire hard drive. Hopefully you will be able to transfer your important files.

You could also try fixing the drive using TechTool Pro, DiskWarrior or Apple's Disk utility from the second machine while the two are connected.

John
--

My dog is very obedient,
he does what he is bid.