Unbelievable. I've been in retail off and on over the years, and that
isn't something that I could ever see being condoned. Do I smell a
sabateur?

Sadly, *nothing* will change without a bit of work. Call the manager and
complain (I'll assume the jerk's name is on your receipt/invoice).
Follow-up with a letter, then email Head Office, referencing both phone
call and letter. This email would seem to cover most all of what you want
to say...

Good luck.

Non Illegitimi Carborundum