At 04:05 PM -0400 10/09/2005, david wrote:
I work part-time for an Apple reseller and your experience is why I'll continue to strongly suggest people buy their products from an independent reseller rather than directly from Apple.

/me agrees wholeheartedly

Find yourself a certified Apple repair service other than Apple. And the next time you are in the market for a computer think twice before buying directly from Apple.

There's just no substitute for having a good relationship with a local repair shop. Even better if it's an understanding one - that doesn't have coniptions because you saved $100+ by buying from outpost.com instead of him.

BTW, am I the only one who thinks that the whole Apple Store thing is turning into a disaster in the making?

Disaster? I donno. I think they fill a nitch. There's a lot of raff out there that needs the pretty all-Apple storefront to give them that warm'n'fuzzy feeling.

Personally, I have yet to get even barely acceptable service from an Apple Store. Ditto for calling Apple Support. Nor do I care to see my wallet bleed from their higher-than-CompUSA prices. So I don't recommend them to anyone, ever.

sigh. When my housemate's Lombard died, she went to our newly opened Apple Store to take a look at the new PBs. When she came back home, she asked for a Dell catalog -- she was that discouraged. It was only a lot of conversation and a trip to my fav reseller that turned her around. Except for the BSODs, she's quite happy with her 1.5-GHz 15" PB.

When my local Apple store opened the 'genius' truly was incredibly knowledgeable.

When my local Apple store opened their music was so loud you couldn't hear anything the 'geuius' was blithering.

FWIW,
- Dan.