On Oct 9, 2005, at 1:05 PM, david wrote:

work part-time for an Apple reseller and your experience is why I'll continue to strongly suggest people buy their products from an independent reseller rather than directly from Apple. What you require is a service my boss offers. When a customer's drive is damaged/dead, if desired, we'll attempt to transfer data or send the drive to a data-recovery service if we can't access it.

That's only if your local reseller isn't a bunch of arrogant elitist pinheads who think that customer service is when they've whacked all the tennis balls at our head, and its time for us to throw them back for another go-round.

IMO, from my vantage point as a consumer, Apple gave the resellers nearly 20 years to get the retail stuff right, then gave up and created the Apple Stores out of self defense.

And you ARE one of the few who think the Apple Stores are a disaster in the making. Most of the rest of the world thinks that they were a brilliant marketing move that's paying real dividends for Apple in both bottom line sales and mind share.

I have three influential faculty members who are switchers because of visits to the Apple store. (One is the Dean of the college)

Also, don't forget, the Apple store is geared mainly to supporting new sales and systems. How many years has it been since Apple shipped a G4 tower that could accept an internal Zip (don't forget, neither the Quicksilver or the MDD models could take an internal Zip. The last one that could was the Digital Audio)

--
Bruce Johnson

"No matter where you go, there you are", B. Banzai